The Presidential Election vs. Consumer Confidence
by Niki Petit
History demonstrates that the months leading up to a presidential election affect consumer confidence. We all know that uncertainty causes decision-makers to tighten the purse strings, but are retailers prepared for a drastic spending reduction this fall?
Every candidate is spewing scary, economic rhetoric and while it might win them electoral votes, it won’t win them over with most retailers. The presidential uncertainty brings unprecedented consumer hesitation and until November 2, businesses should prepare for flat, or negative, sales. Why is this?
- A change in presidency—whether perceived as positive or negative—distracts citizens which can lead to economic downturn.
- The presidential candidates represent a major change to our current leadership. Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump promise big change and change scares people.
- Part of the electoral process is for candidates to point out what is wrong with our current economic situation and how they will fix it—constant negativity shines a light on problems which exacerbates the situation.
- Consumers like to sit on the fence until they know the outcome of the election. Surprisingly, results do not need to be to their liking. Once the decision is made, they will likely revert back to their regular spending habits.
Until November 2 retailers need to prepare for a spending downturn. They should tighten the proverbial belt, delay new hires and hold off on other large expenses until consumer confidence has a chance to rebound—and trust us, it will.
Director of Business Development
Niki brings a strong background in business, radio and media negotiation, as well as practical marketing savvy, to her account management role. Clients rely on Niki for an honest assessment of their needs and expert strategic direction. A graduate of the University of Wisconsin, her never-ending drive and commitment to her clients makes her a leader and an integral part of Insight’s success.
- Media Buying 101—What On Earth Does a Media Buyer Do?
- From Concept to Completion
- What We Learned from Rio, Pokémon Go and Game of Thrones
- 11 Blogs for Marketing and Business Inspiration
- Are Cars the Next Must-Have Mobile Device?
- The Power of Interaction
- Back to Basics with Content
- Putting the Social in Social Media
- The Presidential Election vs. Consumer Confidence
- Inspiring Young Minds with Design
- Insight Creative, Inc. Enhances team with New Hires and a Promotion
- There's No Place Like Home
- Lights, Camera, Action!
- Your Website is What's for Dinner
- Quick Start Guide to Maximizing Your Branding Budget
- Sitting Pretty ...
- Insight Designer Paints Golden Helmet for Super Bowl 50
- What's In a Name?
- Resolve to Use Reviews Better in the New Year
- This post is going to be all about you.
- On the Road to ROI, Beginning with Engagement
- The Modern Collaboration Toolkit
- Insight Donates Creative Support to Golden House
- Insight Designer Zane Statz Paints New Packers Fence
- Niki Petit Celebrates Milestone Anniversary, Graces Cover of You magazine
- Your PR Efforts are Only as Good as Your Distribution List
- Bringing Ideas Together With Collaborative Web Design
- How to Lose Your Customer's Trust and Business
- Fueling My Addiction
- Protect Your Wordpress Website From the Hacking Horde
- Insight Creative, Inc. Earns Silver Communicator Award